Vocabulary Learning and Revision (to be started preferably 3-5 months in advance)
The largest, most time-consuming component of your GRE preparation is vocabulary revision. Achieving a good level of basic preparation involves getting familiar with around 4,000 words commonly used on GRE test. To really understand a word you need to know its range of meanings, some of its important secondary meanings, its usage (illustrated by sample sentences using the word) and it is often useful to know the roots of the word. Dilip Oak’s Academy has provided two very useful aids for learning and revising these various aspects. Described below is how you can use them both at home and outside.
When at home use VaiVocabulary. VaiVocabulary is one of the best vocabulary learning softwares available in the market. It has a number of features which help to make vocabulary learning really effective. Here are some tips on how to get the most of it:
- Try out all the features in order to select which combination works best for you – some of the more important features are given below:
- Pictures – these are connected to the meaning and help to remind you of the meaning.
- Sample sentences or usage – remember you don’t understand the meaning when you learn the definition: real understanding comes when you see how the word is used in sample sentences.
- ‘Video’ – most of this is really audio, but the videos give really good explanations of word meaning and lots of additional sample sentences.
- Mnemonics – ways of linking the meaning of the word with the form of the word; many are given; select the ones you find most useful.
- Word origins – these are the roots of words which help you to understand the meanings of words rather than just learning them by heart.
- Synonyms – the easy synonyms help you to understand the meaning of a word better; the hard ones extend your vocabulary.
- Mark any word you cannot remember ‘very difficult’ by default so that you will be able to repeatedly revise it; lower the rating when you get better at remembering.
- most important: sincerely go through all quizzes, the rapid revision (it comes up at the beginning of a new session) and the difficulty-based revision sessions.
- The VaiVocabulary DVD has a tutorial that will take you through all the available features and explain how to use them
- If you run into any problems with installing or using the DVD contact the Academy – all the problems can be fixed one way or another, but don’t let problems prevent you from the enormous benefits of using this great vocabulary learning software.
Outside (i.e. when you are not at home): Use FlashCards and FlashCard Companion
- The FlashCards contain 4,000 GRE words and their meaning; 2-3 shades of meaning are given for every word.
- The FlashCard Companions are booklets which give you a sample phrase for every meaning of every word in the FlashCards.
- Every page in the FlashCard Companion booklet corresponds to a FlashCard. The number of the FlashCard is given at the top of the page. Word numbers are also given for ease of reference.