In our earlier blog, dated 20/07/2020, we laid the groundwork for the preparation of the Quantitative Reasoning Section. Today, we will study the SMART way to fine-tune your GRE preparation and achieve the desired score.
- Use your scrap paper effectively. Develop a habit of solving the questions stepwise and systematically as it will help you on your actual test day.
- Stick to one source of material throughout the course of study.
You are expected to complete 20 Questions in 35 minutes for the Quant section that averages nearly less than 90 seconds per question.
Ensure that you understand all the concepts irrespective of the time taken. Starting your preparation well on time would ensure that you have enough time to master all your concepts.
- Once the concepts are clear, aim to solve questions in a stipulated time frame.
- A well-devised study plan will set you right on track. In short ‘Plan Your Work And Work Your Plan’
Understand the different question types and their nuances so that you can use suitable techniques for solving them.
- The GRE questions are relatively easy to solve but sometimes difficult to comprehend because of their verbosity (complex and confusing construction). So read the questions carefully to reveal the hidden concept/s, which, most of the time, may be very familiar.
- Sometimes, questions that seem relatively easy have some trap set for you, and most of the students fall for it. The answer choices are also designed in such a way that they lead you to a trap.
- Note down important formulae, theorems, properties, etc.
- Maintain a log of topics you have covered and classify them based on their difficulty level so that you can focus accordingly.
We need to understand some factors which may affect our performance on the actual Test Day.
Get rid of your mental blocks like examination phobia and loss of confidence. Discussing with the faculty members or counselors could help.
Train yourself to remain undaunted even if you come across difficult questions in the beginning because the difficulty level of the questions keeps changing and you may get a simpler question subsequently. We strongly suggest you take our 5 practice tests (CBTs) to boost your confidence. Our CBTs are designed as per the ETS pattern and the score you obtain could give you an idea of your actual GRE score.
Remember, consistency and hard work are the two main elements required for success in any field. Using the SMART approach discussed above will set you on track for your preparations for the GRE.