Facts about the Field
- Job Prospects – according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) 11,600 jobs will be generated for mechanical engineers in the United States by 2022 (the unemployment rate in the field is just 2.7%)
- Employment Growth Rate – the BLS also predicts that employment in the field is expected to grow by 4.5 percent between 2012 and 2022
- Salaries – the median salary is $80,500 with the worst-paid earning $52,580 and the best-paid earned $123,340.
- Job Satisfaction – upward mobility in mechanical engineering jobs in America is high, flexibility is above average and stress levels are about average
- What the Work is Like – many mechanical engineers work out of an office on a 9-5 schedule but if your job demands it you may visit sites like oil rigs or skyscrapers
- Top-paying metropolitan areas – these include Anchorage, Alaska; Taunton, Massachusetts; and San Jose, California.