If you are applying for fall 2021 the clock has begun to tick. So, don’t delay. Here is a detailed Timeline to help you start and streamline your application process:
Register for the GRE and TOEFL examinations – these examinations should preferably be taken by 15th December 2020.
- Make a preliminary list of universities which meet your requirements considering:
- Broad specializations you are interested in
- Expected GRE score
- Academic record
- Recommendations by seniors studying in American universities
- Start working on your Statement of Purpose (SOP). SOP is a crucial document that provides insights into your purpose of joining the course and university, your personality, experience in the field and long-term goals. It should be around 500 to 800 words long, precise, interesting, grammatically and technically sound.
- Arrange for 4 sets of college and university transcripts.
- Choose your recommenders (preferably college professors/project guides/employers) and keep recommendation letters ready.
- Test and application process
- Take the GRE and TOEFL exams latest by 20th December 2020
- Shortlist your final 8 to 10 universities.
- Complete online application process latest by 30th of December and send the required documents by courier. Of course, universities accept applications even till 31st March, so you can send them by January too in case of any delay.
- Request the ETS to forward your GRE and TOEFL scores to the universities you are applying to. (scores take minimum 2 weeks to come)
After sending the applications
You will most likely receive admission decisions from Feb/March. Once you receive the decisions, email your acceptance. This is very important especially when you are offered funding.